The Tobacco Control Law restricts smoking in public places and prohibits tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship. On July 31, 2020, the President of the Russian Federation approved the new amendment to the Law on protecting the health of cities from the effects of second hand tobacco smoke and the sequences of tobacco consumption initiated by the Russian Parliament. The main purpose of the new amendment is to unify the regulation of tobacco and other nicotine products and treat them in the same way as tobacco. The amendment introduced a new category of "nicotine containing products" (NCPs), including heated tobacco products, nicotine containing solutions, liquids and gels, and nicotine powders and mixtures for sucking, chewing and snuffing, but not for food use.
1. If the nicotine concentration exceeds 20 mg/ml, it is prohibited to sell electric cigarette oil containing nicotine, including nicotine salt,
2. It is prohibited to sell or give away electric cigarette oil (including or without nicotine) and electric atomizer to minors (under 18 years old). Minors are also prohibited from selling such products.
3. The advertising, promotion, sponsorship and display of NCP consumer equipment and its trademarks are prohibited, including the use of such trademarks for other goods.
Decree N 2425 of the Government of the Russian Federation dated December 23, 2021 "On the approval of the single list of products subject to compulsory certification and the single list of products subject to the declaration of conformity, and the revision of Announcement N 2467 of the Government Decree of the Russian Federation dated December 31, 2020", which also refers to some requirements and test methods in GOST R58109-2018 LIQUIDS FOR ELECTRONIC NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEMS, will be implemented on September 1, 2022.
The new law stipulates as follows
1. If the nicotine containing tobacco oil or nicotine solution exceeds 20 mg/ml, it is prohibited to retail nicotine (including synthetic nicotine) or its derivatives, including nicotine salt, and nicotine containing tobacco oil and nicotine solution (including tobacco oil used in electronic nicotine delivery system),
2. Packaging requirements
It shall comply with child protection requirements to prevent oil leakage
The following information shall be included (Russian is not required for registered trademarks):
• Product type and name
• Number of pieces (sub packaged products)
• Manufacturer's name
• Address of manufacturer
• Name and address of the organization registered in Russia and authorized by the manufacturer to accept consumer claims
• Nicotine content mg/mL
When the nicotine content in the tobacco oil is 0.1-1 mg/ml, a significant figure shall be retained;
For the electric cigarette oil with nicotine content less than 1 mg/ml, it shall be expressed as an integer;
The tobacco oil with nicotine content lower than 0.1mg/ml is considered to be nicotine free, so the nicotine content should be marked as mg/mL
• Indicate that the product meets the standard
• Month and year of production
• A statement that the product may not be sold to minors
• Volume of smoke oil
• Instructions that need to be kept out of the reach of children (e.g. with the inscription: "Keep out of the reach of children")
• The tobacco oil containing nicotine needs to be added with a warning message "nicotine causes addiction". The warning message should be written on a white background in clear and readable black capital letters
• Ensure that the information is clear, readable and durable during storage, transportation and sales
GOST R58109-2018 also mentions the following purity requirements for components of tobacco oil
1. The purity of nicotine and nicotine salt is 98%
2. Distilled oil from the petroleum industry, with a purity of 94%
3. The purity of propanol is 95%
Test requirements: ROHS, nicotine content, leak test.
Certificates: GOST DOC and EAC ROHS DOC
Nicotine and leak test sample requirements:
Nicotine parallel sample, method reference GOST R58109-2018 6.3
Density; Weighing method 5 parallel/densitometer method 2 parallel
Leakage test; 10 sample methods refer to GOST R58109-2018 6.2